Thursday 16 April 2015

Our privates


I've stitched the word meat into underwear to show the insecurities we have about our appearances due to the images and the words used by the media, eg: get the look, asif that's the way we must look to be pretty. The word meat came from my survey when I asked people to give me one word to describe their body, the word meat really shined out to me so I've went with that. I decided to stitch the word into underwear because underwear are fragile garments, their one of our most private things that the world doesn't see on a day to day basis so I thought this would add more success to the whole insecure notion. 




I carried out the same idea but on the under piece of a dress I have. This has the same concept really. This part of the dress is hidden, almost asif this is the private part of the dress. We don't strut around in this part of the dress alone.




The images are in black and white to look more eerie, isolated, depressed and overall sad really as the idea behind these pieces is to say that the sad reality is that so many of us feel insecure and down right sad about the way we look because we don't look like these models and celebrities in the media. However they don't even look like those photos, Photoshop can work wonders.

I don't think we should all be pushed to look a certain way though, we all have our own natural beauty and we should be happy with the way we were intended to look. The media will use language like "get the look" and so on asif what they say is the must way we should look.

It's outrageous.

No comments:

Post a Comment